02 October 2012

Takara Transformers SCFs (Super Collectible Figures), a (re)introduction

Transformers Super Collectible Figures ("SCFs") were released by Takara toward the end of the year 2000. These small PVC figures that were approximately 3 inches tall, do not transform, but unlike their Decoy predecessors, were posable.

8 out of the 10 waves (called "ACTs") eventually released were G1-centric, with character designs that closely matched the designs seen in the G1 Cartoon and Marvel's Transformers Universe design sheets.

I was immediately attracted to this series and were buying up each ACT as a complete box.

A comprehensive figure listing can be found on Wikipedia here.

My SCF figure display back in 2001 / 2002


Each ACT came in a box of 12 individually blind packed figures. Of the 12, 6 would be coloured figures and the other 6 would be either clear (later pewter) versions of the 6 coloured figures. Selected boxes of 12 figures would randomly include a "Chase" or special figure that was different from the other 12 either in terms of molding or colour. Since all figures were blind packed, the Chase figures for each ACT were difficult to come by. Back in the day, I heard that there was 1 Chase figure per every 10 boxes (of 12 individually blind packed figures) - that's approximately a 1:120 ratio.

Out of all the ACTs I bought, I was only lucky enough to stumble upon one Chase figure - this was for the final G1 ACT8, where I got a blind packed Coronation Starscream with cape. I was ecstatic of course, but it also meant that I did not have a coloured Star Convoy (ie: if you got a Chase, that set would effectively be 'incomplete' and missing another random figure).

SCFs randomly scattered on my table, back in 2001 / 2002 (before the eagle eyed collector gets too excited, the Skywarp there is a custom paint job done by my friend from a SCF Thundercracker and not the Transformers: Generations Lucky Draw Skywarp).

I had not other Chase figures back in the day.

Now, close to 10 years later, I've managed to hunt down a number of SCF Chase figures which I will showcase in subsequent posts. Very excited!

Next: Takara SCF ACT1 Chase figures - metallic Convoy with laser axe and metallic Megatron with flail.

11 comments:

  1. I have a buddy who collects these and goes ebay scouring like every other day for them. They're cool figures! Is that Metroplex in the back there on picture 2?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's Metroplex back there! I do scour eBay for them too, but some are just harder to find than others. I'm still missing the OTFCC Sunstorm, but yet not willing to pay too much for it... hahaha

      Delete
  2. I have a lot of these but over the years they have become sticky. Any idea how to get them fixed? I tried putting one of them in the freezer for 15 mins but it doesn't work =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, sorry to hear that! I have no idea how to fix that unfortunately. Do you know why they became sticky? Is it due to the temperature or method of storage?

      Delete
  3. I have to confess that I liked these... A lot. But my problem was that I could never find the ones I wanted. I pretty much wanted Arcee, and a few others. But the stores always had the medic version and other pieces that did not interest me. And I am to the point that if I can get any of the ones I want,I'll display them outside their carding.

    Oh! And remember your April Fools post and our discussion about a Fort Max reissue? Takara Tomy has struck an irony with that: http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/huge-transformers-news-encore-fort-max-mp15-generations-prime/25932/

    Looks like atop of seeking out a Twincast (in packaging I can accept), I need to save up for this bad boy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Kuma! I thought Arcee was pretty easy to find? The Jap version of Paradron Medic (green Arcee) is hard to find, cos its a Chase figure. But for that, you can always get the US HOC release.

      Yes, that April's Fool was prophetic! Many people are commenting on that post... hahaha

      Delete
    2. I was hoping it was here. But every time I looked, it was either an Optimus Prime, an Omega Supreme, the medic, or a Seeker. Then again, whenever I was lucky to find something good, I was broke. So I am thinking that I will do some seeking when I am on Sapporo (hopefully) this March.

      Besides, I am guessing that once my preferred store has this for pre-order, and I have my my pre-order accounted for, I'm going to have to dub it my "HD piece"... Because you called it. :)

      Delete
    3. hey dude, don't worry about Arcee, really not hard. I'm sure you can find it and for a good price too if you are in Japan. Heh, thanks for dubbing stuff "HD", very honoured!

      Delete
  4. Do you read my mind or what? I just started buying these things up. Having a hell of a time finding Scorponok for a good price though. Did you ever confirm that the Lucky Draw Skywarp was actually released?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good gosh, we do think alike!

      I have spares of Chase figures and BAFs for these you know. Let me know which piece(s) you need...

      Yes, Lucky Draw Skywarp was indeed released (no one is sure of how many though, cos the publishing company went bankrupt at around that time). You will hear more about this soon...

      Delete
  5. It's not a chase figure but I'm looking for a japan version of starscream do by chance have an extra for sale? Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be beamed to me and will be visible within 3 to 7 hours typically. Do check back or subscribe to this post for my responses or to see comments from other readers! ~ HD

Last 30 days' TOP TEN Popular Posts